Just in time to kick off the holiday season, LAIKA’s newest masterpiece Kubo and the Two Strings is coming to Blu-ray™ 3D, Blu-ray™, DVD and On Demand on November 22, 2016 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment! To add to the excitement we also have some fun Kubo and the Two Strings Printable Activity Sheets (find them below). We had a chance to see Kubo and the Two Strings in the theater and it is a BEAUTIFUL movie. It’s actually a bit hard to believe that the whole thing is made in stop motion. It is a painstaking process where an animator can take a full week of work to create only 2 seconds of film. Seeing the entire movie pulled together is almost beyond belief.
Kubo and the Two Strings is an epic action-adventure that tells the story of one boy and his quest to reunite his family. The movie begins with a dramatic and awe-inspiring glimpse into the very early life of Kubo as his mother whisks him away to safety from an almost certain doom. It then goes on to show us the everyday childhood of Kubo as he makes a living as a storyteller in the village square, uses his shamisen instrument to bring his own origami sculptures to life. But, soon everything changes when Kubo mistakingly summons a spirit from his past which quickly changes his world.
Kubo then sets out on his quest to both save his family and to discover more about his father, a great samurai warrior. Throughout the journey Kubo discovers both his own strength and secrets about his own family that change his outlook on the world.
It’s hard for me to tell you too much about Kubo and the Two Strings without giving away secrets that you will want to discover on your own! What I can tell you is that I was blown away with the visual magic they created on the screen, the excitement of the adventure (I seriously JUMPED out of my seat at one point), and the touching story of family.
With the home version of Kubo and the Two Strings you’ll get some awesome bonus features!
Bonus Features Exclusive to Kubo Blu-ray™ 3D Combo Pack & Blu-ray™ Combo Pack:
• Introduction by Director/Producer Travis Knight: Director/Producer Travis Knight introduces “Kubo’s Journey.”
• Mythological Monsters: The filmmakers and crew discuss the new techniques they used to create the terrifying antagonists. Learn how each monster differed in scale, design, and execution.
• Braving the Elements: A particularly challenging aspect of filming was animating water and rain effects. Discover how LAIKA was able to animate water in the context of a stop-motion film.
• The Redemptive and Healing Power of Music: Learn how traditional and contemporary musical styles were combined by Academy Award®-winning composer Dario Marianelli (Atonement) to infuse the film with such a heartfelt sound.
• Epilogue by Director/Producer Travis Knight: Director/Producer Travis Knight discusses what attracted LAIKA to Kubo and the Two Strings.
Bonus Features on Kubo Blu-ray™ 3D Combo Pack & Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and DVD:
• Japanese Inspiration: The LAIKA creative team and the cast discuss the inspirations for the story.
• Corners of the Earth: Filmmakers and crew discuss the challenges of the varied landscapes and locations in Kubo and the Two Strings.
• The Myth of Kubo: Cast and filmmakers discuss the story at the core of Kubo and the Two Strings.
• Feature Commentary with Director/Producer Travis Knight
Kubo and the Two Strings Printable Activity Sheets
Print these Kubo and the Two Strings activity pages for more Kubo fun! They include a Kubo word search, origami, maze and more. Plus there are some cool Kubo mini posters you can print out and hang on your wall!
For more information, follow Kubo and the Two Strings on social:
FACEBOOK I TWITTER I INSTAGRAM
Reader Giveaway: One lucky Jinxy Kids reader will win their own copy of Kubo and the Two Strings. To enter, just complete the entry form below by 11:59pm ET on 12/12/16. Good luck!
Kubo and the Two Strings
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
I’m a busy blogger and happy auntie of Little R, who I spend time with several days per week – which ends up being the FAVORITE part of my week! We love to cook together, do crafts, play outside and turn boring errands into fun adventures.
Amber C says
I have not seen this movie yet – but it looks absolutely amazing, and is a movie my family would enjoy watching!
No, haven’t seen it yet.
We haven’t seen the movie yet but it looks like a good family movie.
Kate S says
I haven’t but I really want to!!
I didn’t see it but my son went with his dad and he loves the movie and wants it for Christmas.
I haven’t seen this yet but look forward to it because I like this style of movie.
Cindy Peterson says
We have not seen the movie but look forward to seeing a good family movie.
Jennifer H. says
We have not seen it but we want to.
John H. says
We have yet to see it but we want to.
Rajee Pandi says
We have not seen and we love to see it