We usually think of January as the time to make New Year’s resolutions. But, for families and kids, there is also a new year starting in the fall as we head back to school. The start of the new school year is a great time to make resolutions to set healthy routines that will serve their purpose all year long. Here are a few ideas:
- Make breakfast a priority. Kids who start the day right with a solid breakfast keep their minds on their studies and not on their stomachs. Plan ahead to have some quick, easy breakfasts that are high in protein and whole grains and low in sugar (for example, Van’s Natural Foods 8 Whole Grains Pancakes and Waffles, or its latest better-for-you option, Ancient Grains cereal featuring 6g of protein and 5g of fiber), and make sure your morning routine includes time for kids to eat.
- Have happier trips to the dentist. The morning rush can make time for brushing and flossing scarce. Plan time for kids to brush their teeth before school and add a Plackers Kids flosser, in fun animal shapes and tasty berry flavors, to help keep the dentist’s drill at bay all year long.
- Go to bed earlier. A good night’s sleep is important for concentration and mood. Reading and other quiet activities before bedtime help children wind down better than TV or video games.
- Exercise. Kids who play outdoors after school, whether in organized school or community sports or just with friends at the local park, are less likely to gain weight than kids who flop on the couch for hours of TV, and they have an easier time falling asleep at bedtime because they are actually tired.
- Eat healthier. Lunches and afterschool snacks don’t have to include chips, cookies and sodas. Healthy snacks like cheese sticks, cut-up fruits, veggies and dip, frozen yogurt, whole-grain versions of kid favorites like Goldfish are just a few ideas for kids who need a snack between and dinner.
Reader Giveaway: One lucky Jinxy Kids reader will win a back to school package of a bag of Plackers Kids flossers and a coupons for free Van’s products, plus some samples of other Plackers products with a cents off coupons inside, and a $1 and a $2 off coupon for Van’s. To enter, just complete the entry form below by 11:59 pm ET on 9/6/12. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Plackers and Van’s.